General Info about the Academy Program
What is Academy?
The purpose of the Academy is to create an appropriate developmental environment to help player enjoyment, resulting in increased player retention.
The Academy program is a critical component which helps facilitate effective player development as it provides players with weekly training by a professional coaching staff.
Academy offers two options for the 9U and 10U age groups (Academy and Recreational). The intent behind offering two levels of play at this level is to provide players with the opportunity to play with and against players of similar ability and commitment and at a level where they will experience the most success and enjoyment.
Goals of Academy
- Be developmentally appropriate
- Provide meaningful competition
- Provide improved competition formats for players to enjoy and develop
- Provide coaching education standards and resources
- Take a common sense approach to matters so as to best support a fun and developmentally appropriate playing environment
Academy vs. Recreational - How to choose
The difference between participating in an Academy program or Recreational program lies in the level of investment, commitment and interest of the players and their families. To help parents decide which level of play is most appropriate for their child, listed below are the characteristics of typical players who would participate in an Academy Program. If your child displays a majority of the characteristics listed they are probably more suited to the Academy level of play. However, it should be noted that during a player’s soccer development they may move back and forth between Academy and Recreational play.
- Demonstrates a solid technical foundation (control, dribbling, and shooting)
- Physically stronger than most players within their age group
- Athletically quicker than most players within their age group
- High level of coordination and good agility
- During games is aggressive in their attitude and approach to getting involved
- During games tends to dominate the play
- Demonstrates high level of passion and concentration during practices and games
- Started to narrow down the number of extra-curricular activities they are involved in
- Soccer is a high priority and they have a passion to play
- Practices with a ball in their own time outside regular schedule of games & practices
- U10 player who will try-out for the U11 competitive age group in the following year.